Breaking News
recent

Lady Writers

In light of the recent hubbub over Jonathan Franzen's Time cover and the unanimous excellent reviews for his new book, Freedom and the well-placed but misrepresented anger on behalf of female writers I have come up with a list of ten contemporary female written novels. These are authors that men, women, everyone should read because they're really fucking good.



(in no specific ranking)
  1. Lorrie Moore Anagrams -- One word description (plus five more): quirky (in the best way possible).
  2. Lisa Moore Alligator -- Canadian author who doesn't adhere to the ol' man versus nature, nature wins trope of which Canadian authors are so fond.
  3. Julia Leigh Disquiet -- Favourite part: two children coming across the dead baby in the freezer whilst looking for ice-cream.
  4. Jhumpa Lahiri Interpreter of Maladies -- Just read this after years of being told, sometimes forcefully, by my book mentor/one of the loves of my life, Derek, and now I feel ashamed for waiting so long because she is unbelievable.
  5. Louise Erdrich The Antelope Wife -- A master at modernizing First Nations' mythology.
  6. Alice Munro Too Much Happiness -- Why this over other Munro's? First of all, all of her stories are gold but I've chosen this one because of the sinister undertones; kind of brings to mind Southern gothic a la Flannery O'Connor.
  7. Amy Hempel Reasons to Live -- The Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried is my favourite story ever. I read it every few weeks. Perfect. That is all.
  8. Dorothy Allison Bastard Out of Caroline -- The kind of book that you feel in your bones.
  9. A M Homes This Book Will Save Your Life -- I had this book as one of my staff picks when I worked in a bookstore and I would have customers come back to thank me because they had spent three days laughing.
  10. Paula Fox Desperate Characters -- One Two words: paranoid descent. Plus, she's Courtney Love's grandma!
It's time we (society-wise) left behind the tired, out-dated, insulting and really dumb fucking idea that women who write good, literary books are not an anomaly.

What do you think? Who am I missing? (I know that this list consists mostly of white, straight women so please, leave suggestions in the comments for queer or women of colour authors who should be celebrated.)


admin

admin

Powered by Blogger.
Fashion,Fashion Style Ttrends, hair Style, Fashion Style, Fashion Style Fashion,Fashion Style Ttrends, hair Style, Fashion Style, Fashion Style 2015